This family favourite comes from Gwyneth Paltrow's Notes From My Kitchen Table. A lovely simple and nutritious soup. Great for these cold dark days. You can use any leftover cheese, but my little boy prefers cheddar.
Gwyneth's Broccoli & Cheese Soup
A really comforting bowl of green, green soup finished off with cheddar or if you are more adventurous, crumbly and punchy stilton. Mmmmmmmm!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly diced
- 2 large stalks broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 40g rocket (or watercress)
- 30 - 60g crumbled strong assertive Stilton for the adults or grated cheddar for the kids
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for just a minute, or until fragrant. Add the broccoli and cook for 4 minutes, or until bright green. Add the stock, salt & pepper, bring to the boil, lower the heat and cover. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the broccoli is just tender. Pour the soup into a blender and puree with the rocket until quite smooth. Be very careful when blending hot liquids. Start slowly and work in batches is necessary. Pour the soup back into the pan, stir in 30g of the cheese, taste and add more if you'd like. Serve with black pepper and a drizzle of your best olive oil.
DetailsTotal time: Yield: Serves 4
I am submitting this soup for this month's Bookmarked Recipes.